Environmental podcast with wildlife photographer Suzi Eszterhas.
On today’s show I’m delighted to introduce you to wildlife photographer Suzi Eszterhas. I had such a blast talking to Suzi that I couldn’t even edit our conversation down, there are too many nuggets in there worth sharing.
It was one of those chats where you wish you were sat down in person over a couple of beers.
It’s a great interview but if you are a parent or caregiver of girls, this is definitely an interview you need to listen to!
We talk about . . .
- How this sensitive tough girl who took on the bullies at school by learning to fight.
- How raising an orphan serval was one of the best experiences of her life and how being a photographer made her a better fur mum.
- How fostering empathy in young children might just be what we need to save our planet’s wildlife.
- The sexism she’s faced in a male dominated profession.
- Her experience of sexual harassment, her method for dealing with it and the anger she now feels about it happening to the young woman she mentors.
- How strong is the new pretty.
- The outrageous sexist comments that inspired her to create a not-for-profit, Girls Who Click, to mentor young women and the surprising effect being a mentor has had on her.
- How to deal with your own child wanting to go into an unreliable and tough industry.
- The importance of following your bliss.
- How hard it is to remain hopeful if you don’t have a strong spiritual framework within you.
- How we can cure so many of our mental problems with forest bathing.
- Her experience with poachers when out in the field and why she has sympathy for them.
- Why she supports small grass root organisations over larger ones and the suspicions she has about how much funding they actually put into conservation efforts.
- How the jungle is a bootcamp for the heart and soul.
- And of course her career as a wildlife photographer.
For the past year Suzi has been following a leopard family in Botswana. Take a look at her Instagram account to see the beautiful photos. In February she’ll be visiting this little family for the last time.
If you enjoyed this episode I’d love to hear about it so please leave a comment below or leave a review or a star rating on itunes and please share it with your friends 🙂
Suzi’s children’s books and prints:
Suzi has created many beautiful books for children . . .
and prints for children . . .
To see all Suzi’s book and prints please visit her website.
If you too have a spiritual yearning to give back, please take a look at the below organisations that Suzi supports. She knows them all and trusts that the funds they receive go exactly where they say they’re going!
- Alaska Sea Life Center
- Sonoma County Wildlife Rescue
- Center for Animal Protection & Education
- Cheetah Conservation Fund (CCF)
- Koala Hospital
- Orangutan Foundation International
- Pandas International
- The Sloth Conservation Foundation
- Sumatran Orangutan Society (SOS)
- Save Pangolins
- TigerTime – Save the Tiger
- Wildlife Conservation Network
Suzi mentions author, Joanna Macy in our chat. You can find out more about her and her books here.
Thanks for listening! I really hope you enjoyed this episode. If you would like to hear more from me and all the wonderful people I get to chat to, then please subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or sign up to receive an email when the next episode is published. If you can spare a couple of minutes to leave a review for the podcast on iTunes I will be eternally grateful. Reviews are what help this podcast to get found out there in the big world of the web. Thanks again for joining me in this adventure 🙂