Environmental podcast with wildlife photographer Suzi Eszterhas.
On today’s show I’m delighted to introduce you to wildlife photographer Suzi Eszterhas. I had such a blast talking to Suzi that I couldn’t even edit our conversation down, there are too many nuggets in there worth sharing.
It was one of those chats where you wish you were sat down in person.
It’s a great interview but if you are a parent or caregiver of girls, this is definitely an interview you need to listen to!
We talk about . . .
- How this sensitive tough girl who took on the bullies at school by learning to fight.
- How raising an orphan serval was one of the best experiences of her life and how being a photographer made her a better fur mum.
- How fostering empathy in young children might just be what we need to save our planet’s wildlife.
- The sexism she’s faced in a male dominated profession.
- Her experience of sexual harassment, her method for dealing with it and the anger she now feels about it happening to the young woman she mentors.
- How strong is the new pretty.
- The outrageous sexist comments that inspired her to create a not-for-profit, Girls Who Click, to mentor young women and the surprising effect being a mentor has had on her.
- How to deal with your own child wanting to go into an unreliable and tough industry.
- The importance of following your bliss.
- How hard it is to remain hopeful if you don’t have a strong spiritual framework within you.
- How we can cure so many of our mental problems with forest bathing.
- Her experience with poachers when out in the field and why she has sympathy for them.
- Why she supports small grass root organisations over larger ones and the suspicions she has about how much funding they actually put into conservation efforts.
- How the jungle is a bootcamp for the heart and soul.
- And of course her career as a wildlife photographer.
For the past year Suzi has been following a leopard family in Botswana. Take a look at her Instagram account to see the beautiful photos. In February she’ll be visiting this little family for the last time.
Listen here . . .
If you enjoyed this episode I’d love to hear about it so please leave a comment below or leave a review or a star rating on itunes and please share it with your friends 🙂
Suzi’s children’s books and prints:
Suzi has created many beautiful books for children . . .
and prints for children . . .
To see all Suzi’s book and prints please visit her website.
If you too have a spiritual yearning to give back, please take a look at the below organisations that Suzi supports. She knows them all and trusts that the funds they receive go exactly where they say they’re going!
- Alaska Sea Life Center
- Sonoma County Wildlife Rescue
- Center for Animal Protection & Education
- Cheetah Conservation Fund (CCF)
- Koala Hospital
- Orangutan Foundation International
- Pandas International
- The Sloth Conservation Foundation
- Sumatran Orangutan Society (SOS)
- Save Pangolins
- TigerTime – Save the Tiger
- Wildlife Conservation Network
Suzi mentions author, Joanna Macy in our chat. You can find out more about her and her books here.
Thanks for listening! I really hope you enjoyed this episode. If you would like to hear more from me and all the wonderful people I get to chat to, then please subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or sign up to receive an email when the next episode is published. If you can spare a couple of minutes to leave a review for the podcast on iTunes I will be eternally grateful. Reviews are what help this podcast to get found out there in the big world of the web. Thanks again for joining me in this adventure 🙂